Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dawning of a new Dark Age?

The title and inspiration for this end of 2011 post is taken directly from an editorial by Stephen Dick, Dawning of a new Dark Age.   It seemed like a nice beginning for writing down various dystopic topics I've been mulling over for some time.

My view, and apparently his too, is that civilization doesn't seem to be progressing "forward" as most people would interpret it.  How much my view is influenced by living in the US, a nation that seems to be slipping, is unclear.   Perhaps if I were living in China or Brazil, countries on the upswing, my thinking would be much more upbeat.

What are these signs of a new Dark Age?

  • Move toward law of God instead of government.
  • Loss of rights in the name of security.
  • Dysfunctional government.
  • Government corruption.
  • Rights of the rich over the poor.
  • Belief over facts.
  • Us vs them.
  • Sound bites instead of substance.
  • Opinion instead of facts.
  • Lower educational performance.
  • Wider access to fire arms.
  • Environmental issues.
  • Etc.
These and a not of other issues are bothering me, and I'm hoping to write about them.   Why?  So that I can be more clear about them myself, and perhaps to even see that things are improving despite the appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment